How can we help you?
- How much does an ad cost?
- How long will my ad stay online for?
- I can't find my ad online
- I’ve edited my ad but it has not changed online.
- Why was my ad rejected?
- How can I report a scam advert?
- How often is the Buy and Sell Newspaper published?
- Where can I find information on cookies?
- Can I upload images from my iPhone?
- Help with placing an Ad
- How to edit your ad or add more photos
- How to cancel your ad
- How to renew your ad
- How to bump up your ad
- How to remove old ads from you’re account
Still need help? Contact us
A 3 month online ad costs €3.
We also offer a number of additional upgrades for your ad:
+ €7 List your ad in 4 editions of our newspaper.
+ €14 List your ad in 8 editions of our newspaper.
+ €27 List your ad in 16 editions of our newspaper.
All ads placed on the Buy and Sell website will stay online for 3 months unless you remove it earlier than this. A few days before your ad expires we will send you a reminder and give you the opportunity to renew your ad for a further 3 months online.
It may take up to 30 minutes for your ad to be approved and go live on our site after you have placed it. If you still cannot find your ad after this time you can contact us for assistance by clicking here.
It may take up to 30 minutes for your ad to be approved and go live on our site after you have edited it. If your ad has still not been updated after this time you can contact us for assistance by clicking here.
All ads placed on the Buy and Sell website will be checked against our terms and conditions. Any ad which is in breech of these terms and conditions may be rejected or removed from the website. If you feel your ad has been incorrectly rejected you can contact us by clicking here.
If you believe that an advert on our site is a scam you can contact us by clicking here and fill out the details making sure to include the details of the ad or a link to it and we will investigate the ad.
The Buy and Sell newspaper is published nationally 3 days a week Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We also publish 2 regional issues, Northern Ireland on a Monday and Munster on a Wednesday.
Help with Placing an Ad
Placing an ad on Buy and Sell is simple and fast, outlined below are the steps to aid you in placing the best possible ad to ensure a fast sale.
The title of your ad is a brief description of the item you are selling. This is the first thing that customers will see when they search for ads. It should be clear and to the point. Example: If you have an iPhone you want to sell, it should read “iPhone 4G For Sale”
Based on the title or term you have provided we will try our best to predict what category we think your ad would best fit into. If you feel we have selected the wrong category you can change this easily by clicking on the list of category titles on the right of the page and then select the appropriate icon.
3. Description and contact details
The description page is your opportunity to give buyers as much information about the item as possible. Taking the time to get this description accurate and up to date will greatly help you attract buyers. Please try and use specific terms such as model numbers or brands in the body of the advert.
If you are selling a car we have a handy tool to take your registration and automatically fill in the main details of your car. This is a safe and easy process. BuyandSell.ie will never publish your registration number.
Along with the description of your item we also require you to provide your location, price and contact details.
The location should ideally relate to where the item for sale is stored.
Enter a phone number or email address where customers interested in your ad can contact you. You can include either your phone number, email address or both.
Adding photos to your ad is one of the best ways to attract buyers. It really is worth taking an extra couple of minutes to include photos of the items you are selling. It gives the buyer a chance to see your item with their own eyes. We allow you to upload up to 15 photos with each ad and if you upload more than one photo we will ask you to pick your “Main Photo”. This will be shown in the listings page and it will be the first photo a buyer sees when they click on your ad. If you find that when you upload your photo it appears sideways simply click the rotate button until it is positioned correctly.
5. Login or Register
Now that we have all the details about your ad we require you to log in or register.
- If you have already registered your account with us you can simply enter your email address and password to proceed.
- New users can use our quick and easy signup form to create a new account.
Buy & Sell may use your name in communications we send to you, confirmation your ad has been placed etc. We will not publish your name in your ad or anywhere else on our website. Your information will not be shared with any third parties.
6. Pricing options
Our base price for all adverts placed online is €3 and the ad will be listed for 3 months. We also provide you with some excellent value extra options to help ensure a fast sale of your item:
You can choose to have your ad published in our newspaper which gets published 3 days a week (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays)
+€7 gets your ad into 4 editions.
+€14 gets your ad into 8 editions.
+€27 gets your ad into 16 editions.
Paying for your ad on Buy and Sell is secure and simple. We accept payment by:
- Credit or Debit cards. (All payments by card are by our Realex payments system which is both very safe and secure.)
- Our €3 ads are also payable by phone. If you choose this option we will provide you with a phone number and an activation code. Simply call the number provided and enter your activation code when asked.
You can edit your ad as many times as you like for free during the 3 months that it is online. To do this, simply click on the “edit ad” link on our home page. You will then be prompted to enter the user-name and password that you used to register on our site. Once accepted, you will be shown the “My Account” page where all of your live ads are listed. Simply click “edit” beside the advert you would like to change and then follow the steps until completion. After you edit your ad it will go into a proof reading queue to be approved and should go live within 30 minutes with your changes now in place.
You can cancel your ad at any time after you place it. To do this, simply click on the “Remove Ad” link on our home page. You will then be prompted to enter the user-name and password that you used to register on our site. When these have been accepted you will be shown the “My Account” page where all of your live ads can be seen. Simply click “Delete” beside the advert you wish to remove. It will normally take about 30 minutes before the ad is removed from our site.
You can renew your ad once it expires. To do this, simply click on the “My Account” link on our home page. You will then be prompted to enter the user-name and password that you used to register on our site. When these have been accepted you will be shown the “My Account” page where all of your live ads and recently expired ads can be seen. You then just need to click on the “Renew” link beside the ad you wish to renew and follow the steps to complete your renewal payment.
You can bump up your ad at any time during the 3 months that it is online. To bump up your ad simply click on the “Bump Up Ad” link on our home page or on your advert page. You will then be prompted to pay for the bump up in a simple and safe process. Simply click “Bump Up” beside the ad you would like to Bump Up and then follow the steps until completion. Your ad will then get bumped up to the top of the page within 30 minutes.
Some people using iOS devices may encounter problems when trying to upload images during ad placement. Traditionally, Apple did not allow their users to use simple file upload tools on websites and this might affect you as you place your ad. So if your iphone/ipod does not have iOS 6 (or greater), you may not be able to attach your photos to you ad.
What to do? If you are having problems like those above (or indeed any other upload issues), we are happy to help any way we can. We would suggest you do one of the following:
Option 1. 1. Continue to place your ad, without attaching the images. 2. Once your ad is live, log into your account on a PC/laptop. 3. On the "My Account" page, click 'Edit' beside the ad. 4. Follow the edit steps and add your pictures when you reach the uplaod screen.
Option 2. 1. Continue to place your ad, without attaching the images. 2. Once your ad is live, make a note of the 'id'. (You'll find this on your "My Account" page, beside the ad description.) 3. Email your photos to our support bods and include the relevent Ad ID in the message. 4. We'll attach your images and check all is ok. (Send your images to email@example.com)
We hope this helps you out, but if you still need help, feel free to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org You should receive a response within 1 working day, but remember to provide as much detail as possible when asking for help.
You can remove old ads from your account easily. To do this, simply click on the “Remove Ad” link on our home page or on your advert page. You will then be prompted to enter the user-name and password that you used to register on our site. When these have been accepted you will be shown the “My Account” page where all of your live ads and recently expired ads can be seen. To delete an ad from your account simply click the “Delete” link beside the ad you wish to delete.
The vast bulk of Buy and Sell users are genuine and trustworthy people.
However, it is still important for you to use the same common sense making a purchase through Buy and Sell that you would making a purchase on other websites and offline.
These guidelines will help you stay secure and safe making purchase through our website.
- Do not pay in advance for the goods.
- Be aware of sellers putting you under pressure to make a quick purchase.
- Be aware of goods advertised for cheaper than normal.
- Deal with people locally where possible and bring a friend if it makes you feel more secure.
- Check that the seller has a landline number aswell as a mobile phone number.
- Do not pay for goods through money transfer companies such as Western Union.
- Use cash and bank drafts when making a purchase.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for a signed receipt of payment with the sellers address included.
- If you are suspicious of an ad please report it to us at email@example.com
- Be aware if the vehicle price is much lower than models of a similar class.
- Get a mechanic to do a check on the vehicle prior to purchase.
- Check the vehicles history through www.motorcheck.ie
- Check if the vehicle is subject to a hire purchase agreement with www.hpifirst.ie at 01 2600905
- Insist on full payment before handing over the goods.
- Deal with buyers locally where possible and bring a friend if it makes you feel more secure.
- Do not accept foreign bank drafts or foreign cheques as payment.
- Cash and Irish bank drafts are the safest methods of receiving payment.
- Check the bank draft with the issuing bank before you hand over your goods to the buyer. This can be done by calling the bank or going to a branch.
- The change in ownership of a vehicle must be registered. The following link on the Citizens Information website will guide you through the transfer - Change of Vehicle Ownership.
- Do not pay in advance for goods
- Use cash and bank drafts to pay for goods
- Be aware of sellers that put you under pressure to make a purchase or offer you the goods for a lot cheaper than normal
- Stay safe by reading our Buyers Advice
Looking for your new best friend
If you are buying or re-homing a dog make sure you have the space, resources and time to care for your new friend.
A responsible breeder will allow you to see the mother together with the puppy.
The breeders facilities should be hygienic and all animals present should be alert and healthy.
Click on the links below for useful advice on dogs.